Indonesian is back at Barwon Heads Primary School!
It is with great excitement that this year we have welcomed back the Bahasa Indonesian program for students in F-6.
Our Indonesian program focuses on developing language skills and building cultural awareness. Students are encouraged to be curious and have fun while they learn, to build their confidence and encourage engagement.
Students will be participating in a wide variety of learning approaches including singing, role-plays, art, dance, writing, reading, watching video clips, projects and online learning.
Language learning covers topics such as Greetings, Feelings, Colours, Numbers, Animals, Family, School, the Body, Clothes, Weather and Natural Disasters, Cultural comparisons and Shopping. By learning Indonesian, students learn about, and value, different ways of life, traditions, geography, arts, flora and fauna.
Apart from being lots of fun, learning another language has many benefits!
- Learning a language is great training for your brain
- Language skills can open new doors for travel, work and understanding.
- You can build connections with people from other countries
- Language learning supports literacy
- You learn more about your own language and culture
- Indonesian is very easy to pick up – it uses the same alphabet as English and there are no tones so students experience success quicker
- Indonesian is a form of Malay so you can communicate with around 250 million people in Indonesia plus people from Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.
If students have access to the internet at home, they might like to explore or revise their vocabulary at the Indonesian section of Languages Online at:
Terima kasih (Thank- you),